Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Re-habbing and getting back out there

Well, after four months of not running at all, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. So on the afternoon of March 15th, I slapped on the Nikes and headed out the door, hoping I could complete one of my short Eastover loops without pain in my left leg. I completed the whole thing, running 4.5 miles in all, with no pain. It seems like that shouldn't be a big deal, but it was. My body felt sluggish and lazy, which was to be expected, but I was able to keep a decent pace without straining. I made it back out on the roads three more days this past week, giving me a total of 19.5 miles for the week.

At Tommy John's behest, I've been doing some exercises to build up the muscles in my leg around the area that was injured in the hopes of rebuilding strength and preventing any future mishaps. These exercises include seated calf-raises and phantom wall sits, basically for as long as I can stand it. I haven't been doing the wall sits as much as I should be but I actually love the calf raises. They seem to do a great job of warming up my legs, and I can clearly see the muscle working as I do them, which gives me hope that these exercises really can enable me to keep running and (hopefully) avoid injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment