Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thunder Road Preview Run

Distance: 11.25 mi.
Time: 1:30:17 - 8:01 ppm.

Last night, Jamaar posted on the CRC Facebook page that he was running the Thunder Road half course from the Dowd at 7 a.m. I made plans to meet him at the intersection of Providence and Colville - mile 3.5 on the course - around 7:30. It was below 40 when I started but luckily I managed to locate my North Face gloves just before the run. I also had on a toboggan, a tech tee, the long sleeve dry-fit, and my long running shorts.

I actually parked my car at Freedom Park so I could do most of the run with him and whoever else decided to show up, and then not have to run too far to get back to my car. I underestimated how long it would take me to get from the park to the spot, however, and a 7:11 mile - not my ideal way to start a long run - put me at the meet spot at 7:36. Crap. Was I about to run this thing by myself? Surely they didn't wait six minutes for me in this cold... I decided that Jamaar's group just had to be ahead of me. And so I ran a 6:46 mile up Providence Road - a rather sharp incline - to Sharon Amity and turned towards Foxcroft.

This neighborhood features miles 6-8 of the course. I was pleased to note that I was able to navigate it without the map or any questions whatsoever as to where I was going. I know this course about as well as I possibly can without having run the race before. I headed out back towards Sharon, resigned that it would be running this thing alone, as I had kept up a quick pace and didn't want to go any faster. It was about this time that I spotted Jason Martin standing in the middle of the road up at the top of the hill.

We exchanged pleasantries and shared a couple laughs over our missed connection earlier. It turns out they had been behind me the whole time; Jason had stopped to use the bathroom and cut over to meet up with Jamaar and Mike Beigay. We waited for a bit until the latter two showed up.

Jamaar was hurting a bit and I was fine with taking it easy, so we hung back and eventually slowed way down as Jason and Mike pulled away. I hadn't seen Jamaar in awhile so we spent a lot of time catching up on what we had both been up to, and talked at length about our respective race strategies. Jamaar is running the half and hopes to come through just behind Brinkley, who plans to be there right at 1:30 (on his way to the full, of course).

I was pleased to slow down and take it easy after starting off fast. I was glad I had been able to connect with the group, and very pleased at how fresh I had felt after a few days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment