Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time to get a Professional Opinion

I set out for an easy 4-mile run yesterday, hoping my leg would just hurt at first, as it had a few weeks ago, and then feel better after awhile.  That was not the case.  I was wearing the old shoes so I didn't bother re-lacing again and again, but I had to stop and stretch at least once a mile.  I would be running along, in pain but still keeping my stride, when the dull ache/numbness/giveout would occur.  Towards the end of the run I tried running faster, which actually felt better, so there's something positive to take from all this.  But I could barely walk when the run was over and continued to stretch - constantly.

With the help of Brandon Hillis, I did some research and self-diagnosis and this looks a lot like shin splints.  The dull ache and numbness are symptoms common to shin splints.  I put the word out on Run with Theoden's Facebook page that I thought I had shin splints and wanted to know if anyone had ever run a marathon in such a condition.  I also described how everything felt.  Everyone was very helpful and essentially came to two conclusions:  (1) yes, you can run a marathon with shin splints.  It's going to hurt like hell but should not cause any long-term damage at all.  Get some compression sleeves and take painkillers. 

I'm not even going to say what the second conclusion was.  Let's just say that I have decided to visit the doc to make sure this is something I can run through before I proceed on Saturday.  The pain would not bother me; fear that I may be doing some unknown damage would.  I have an appointment for this afternoon and honestly, I'm optimistic.  I just need peace of mind.

1 comment:

  1. what's the verdict??? good luck on saturday! i was going to do the 5k, but we had a death in the family. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete