Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Short Tempo in the New Shoes

My new shoes arrived last night, finally.  Normally, I would never dare switch shoes this far into the training cycle but this is the same pair and I felt the newness would help ease some of my aches and pains.

Boy, was I wrong.  I set off down the McAlpine greenway to do six miles at race pace, right around 7:00, and felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable in the new shoes.  I managed to hit each mile right around 7, and ended up averaging a nice 6:56 for the whole distance, but it was work.  The rest of my body was working harder to avoid running funny in the new shoes.  As I got near the end, my legs began to feel numb, and at one point my left shin, the one that's been bothering me, somewhat gave out in a dull ache.  Not a good sign.

I began to see that the shoe switch was probably a bad idea, but I wasn't ready to trust the old pair for the race, so I decided to stick with these, with a plan to wear them all over the place for the next ten days to get them broken in faster.  Hopefully it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment