Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Well, here it is

After months of procrastination, I have finally decided to join the blogosphere.  I have always wanted to explore writing as a hobby.  I like to write about sports - the NFL, the NBA, college basketball - and I wanted to start writing about my experiences in distance running.  I don't want this to be exclusively a running blog, but I will predict that most of it will be about running.

I began running when I was fairly young, regularly winning the "endurance run" on physical fitness day at my school.  I did not start training year-round or take it seriously until my junior year of high school, when I decided to go out for the cross-country team at Charlotte Christian in order to get in shape for basketball.  I turned out to be alright, earning all-conference honors, and had so much fun that I decided to give up competitive basketball and make running my full-time sport.  This was not the most popular decision in my house, but everyone calmed down when I started getting letters from college coaches.

However, I didn't run in college, not at first.  I quit.  I went to N.C. State University for a year, hated it, and decided to transfer to UNC Wilmington and compete for the track and cross-country teams.  I was named a captain of the team my second year there and I ran some pretty good races (by my standards) during cross-country season.  I didn't run very well in track, however, and after the 2003 season I quit...again.

For the better part of the next seven years, I would remain a recreational runner, basically doing it just enough to keep off the fat.  I got way out of shape back in 2006-07, then started eating better and running a little more to work my way back, but I never considered competitive running again.

Then, this past spring I experienced a tragedy and decided to re-evaluate things.  One of my closest friends lost his battle with depression, and the only thing I could think to do was to examine my own life and try to fix what needed to be fixed.  The main thing I found was that I was no longer doing a lot of the things I loved.  I couldn't find a great reason why running wasn't a big part of my life anymore, and I also wanted to start writing again.  It took some time, a lot of motivation, and a new pair of Nikes...but it happened.

And......we're off!

4 comments:

  1. yay! You finally got it up and "running". Proud of you. Also, thanks for sharing your reason behind your return to running. His legacy will live on through you, and you never know what lives you are touching in the process. Look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He would be glad that you are running and writing again! Go Jason!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rock n roll. will enjoy reading on the workouts bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of publicly sharing your successes and failures. It's fun. And terrible. Will enjoy keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete