Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Real Workout

On the morning of September 8, Eggers sent me a BBM announcing that he was ready for the first workout of the training season.  I hadn't planned on doing a workout but I felt I was ready.  The plan was to do a 7-mile tempo run at McAlpine in mile splits of 7:30, 7:30, 7:15, 7:15, 7:00, and sub-7.  The part of McAlpine's 5K course that included the hill would be mile #6.  Awesome...

This was tough.  We ran right at 5:45 p.m. on another 90-degree day, and we were already sucking wind by the third mile.  But we were running slightly ahead of our desired pace.  I came through the final three miles in 6:58, 6:53 (the hill mile), and 6:40 and felt pretty happy about the way it worked out.  You can read Dan's recap of this workout here.

The following Saturday I ran a 12-mile long run at McMullen Greenway with David Brinkley and Mike Oelz at slightly better than 8-minutes-per-mile pace.  I turned my ankle at one point during this run.  More on that later.  I finished the week at just under 40 miles, with two days (Thursday and Sunday) off.

No comments:

Post a Comment